BLOG: Our bags are almost packed, they’re gassing up the jet and the Rebs are getting in their last preseason practice before hitting the road for Fort Worth, Texas. The college baseball season is finally here. With college baseball kicking up this weekend there’s been plenty of pre-season literature to peruse. Below are a few articles y’all may want to checkout to get prepped for the upcoming season:
- In Baseball America‘s “Three Strikes: Our 2012 College Baseball Preseason Predictions,” article editor John Manuel said Mississippi State is his Omaha sleeper and predicts that Southern Miss’ Connor Barron, a former standout teammate of Austin Knight at Sumrall, will be the National Freshman of the Year. Also — and no surprise here — Manuel and Aaron Fitt pick Florida as the national champion.
- Baseball America also projects the Diamond Rebels as the No. 2 seed in the Austin, Texas Regional. BA also says Mississippi State will be a No. 2 seed in the Stanford Regional, while Southern Miss will be third at LSU.
- Lastly from Baseball America: if you missed it or want to catch up on Ole Miss’ opponents, HERE is BA’s preseason capsules. BA predicts the Rebels will finish fourth in the Southeastern Conference and eighth overall.
- HERE is ESPN’s Preseason Power Rankings. I typically like the work Eric does, though I think his power rankings are a little off. He also did a pre-season All-America list HERE.
- If you have somehow missed the bushels of pre-season articles we have done at the EAGLE, click HERE. In addition to intrasquad reports, we have are also in the midst of an eight-part series looking at the Rebels position by position. The series will wrap up on Thursday with a look at Ole Miss’ speedy outfield. We’ll also have a closer look at Ole Miss’ Opening Day opponent, TCU, in Friday’s edition of the EAGLE.
STARTING NINE: Not that this is any surprise (we eluded to this on Twitter last week), but Ole Miss coach Mike Bianco confirmed his opening day starters prior to today’s practice:
Catcher — Will Allen
First base — Preston Overbey
Second base — Alex Yarbrough
Third base — Andrew Mistone
Shortstop — Blake Newalu
Left field — Tanner Mathis
Center field — Auston Bousfield
Right Field — Will Jamison
Designated hitter — Matt Snyder
Friday night starter — RHP Bobby Wahl
Saturday night starter — RHP R.J. Hively
Sunday night starter — RHP Mike Mayers
Closer — Brett Huber
Anyone have a batting order prediction to go along with the lineup? Feel free to post them in the comments section below or tweet your thoughts to @patrickochs.