Must New Year’s resolutions be made before, on on, the first day of the year? Editor Don Whitten wonders about protocol as he offers some suggestions about how to deal with resolutions and some to consider making if it’s not too late. (January 4, 2012, Page 4)
Local columnist Jimmy Reed is looking for ways to be more optimistic about the new year after receiving a message from a friend that contained frightening statistical data. (January 3, 2012, Page 4)
The Oxford Police Department reported no arrests for DUI on New Year’s Eve and no serious or fatal wrecks. However, around the state, three Mississippians lost their lives in wrecks over the holiday weekend. (January 3, 2012, Page 1)
- Theron Jean Campbell — 50, died Thursday, Dec. 29, 2011, at his home in Water Valley. Services were held this morning at Everdale Missionary Baptist Church in Water Valley. Burial followed in Oak Ridge Cemetery in Water Valley. Seven Oaks Funeral Home of Water Valley was in charge of arrangements.
- L’Rico Deandre Goolsby — 40, died Saturday at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Arrangements are incomplete with Kenneth I. Roberson Funeral Home of Pontotoc.
- Stanley Nelson Iles — 60, of Sardis died Sunday, Jan. 1, 2012, at The Regional Medical Center in Memphis. A memorial service will be held at a later date. Wells Funeral Home of Batesville is in charge of arrangements.
- Marvel Marie Jones Myers — 92, died Sunday, Dec. 18, 2011, at Lee Memorial Health Systems in Fort Meyers, Fla. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Wednesday at Waller Funeral Home in Oxford. Burial will follow in St. Peter’s Cemetery. Visitation will be held for one hour prior to the service at the funeral home.
- Jodie Dwight “J.D.” Sneed — 89, died Saturday, Dec. 31, 2011, at Baptist Memorial Hospital–North Mississippi in Oxford. Services will be held at 2 this afternoon at Oxford-University United Methodist Church. Burial will follow in St. Peter’s Cemetery. Visitation will be held for two hours prior to the service in Wesley Hall at the church.
- Kerry Young — 39, died Monday at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Arrangements are incomplete with Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home in Oxford.
When Ole Miss’ Southeastern Conference opener against LSU on Sunday took a turn for the worse, it got bad in a hurry.
Aided by a 20-2 run late in the first half, the visiting Lady Tigers came away from C.M. “Tad” Smith Coliseum with an 83-44 victory. (January 3, 2012, Page 9)
BLOG: The Ole Miss women didn’t start their Southeastern Conference schedule quite like they would have liked it.
Despite trading leads with LSU early in the contest today, the Lady Tigers closed out the first half on a 20-2 run en route to an 83-44 victory.
(more…) (January 1, 2012)