Iowa just had its Republican caucuses, while New Hampshire holds a primary next week. What’s the difference? Editor Don Whitten takes a closer look at the process states go through to allocate delegates for candidates at the national conventions, including how things are done in Mississippi. (January 6, 2012, Page 4A)
Preston Ray Garrett writes about state Sen. Gray Tollison’s switch from the Democratic to the Republican party, and says it’s time for lots of politicians and citizens to take a look at their personal beliefs and current party affiliations. (January 6, 2012, Page 4A)
BLOG: Despite a much improved effort from four nights ago, the Ole Miss women’s basketball team fell to Florida tonight 59-55 at C.M. “Tad” Smith Coliseum. (more…) (January 5, 2012)
For Queenie Dixon, the pride of her career as a homemaker has been passing down to her children and grandchildren the values she learned from her parents. Senior staff writer sat down to talk with the local matriarch in this week’s “A Conversation With…” (January 5, 2012, Page 3)
- Lillian Eva Hutton Cheatham — 88, died Saturday, Dec. 31, 2011. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Monday at the Trenholm Road United Methodist Church in Columbia. Burial will follow in Greenlawn Cemetery. Visitation will be held from 4 to 6 p.m. Sunday in the Devine Street Chapel at Dunbar Funeral Home.
- Rico Deandre “Suave” Goolsby — 40, died Saturday, Dec. 31, 2011, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Saturday at East St. Peter’s MB Church. Burial will follow in East St. Peter’s Cemetery. Visitation will be held from 1 to 5 p.m. Friday at the Kenneth I. Roberson Funeral Home and from 10 a.m. to noon Saturday at the church.
- James Floyd “Jimmy” Maples — 73, died Wednesday, Jan. 04, 2012, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Friday in the Coleman Funeral Home Chapel in Oxford. Burial will follow in the Garden of Memories located at Coleman Funeral Home. Visitation will be held for two hours prior to the service at the funeral home.
- Dorothy Mize — 90, died Tuesday, Dec. 13, 2011, at North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo. Services will be held at noon Saturday in the chapel of Waller Funeral Home in Oxford. Burial will follow in Springdale Cemetery. Visitation will be held for two hours prior to the service at the funeral home.
- Kerry Darnell Young — 39, died Monday, Jan. 2, 2012, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Services will be held at noon Saturday at Tallahatchie Oxford Missionary Baptist Association Building. Burial will follow in Beverly Chapel U.M. Church in Oxford. Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home of Oxford is in charge of arrangements.
Eleven additional sirens are being installed in the county beginning today with plans to obtain more if a grant goes through this year for Lafayette County. Meanwhile the CodeRED system continues but at a cheaper rate due to Three Rivers Planning and Development District signing up the system for all eight counties. (January 5, 2012, Page 1)
Mukund K. Patel, 50, a general practitioner, was charged on Dec. 21 by the Lafayette County Metro Narcotics Unit with eight counts of practicing without a license, however Agent in Charge Keith Davis said the investigation is still ongoing. (January 5, 2012, Page 2)
Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi announced the first babies born in 2012 were twin sister, Riley Kate and Kaylee Ann Gray who were born at about 10 a.m. Jan. 1. (January 5, 2012, Page 1)
If the Lady Rebels are going to have a successful Southeastern Conference schedule, they must learn to weather the storm, learn from their mistakes and, perhaps most importantly, find a third reliable scorer. (more…) (January 5, 2012, Page 6)