The Ole Miss baseball team officially opened its preseason last Friday with a plethora of possibilities surrounding the team, both in the form of headlines and lineups.
Head coach Mike Bianco is looking for the Rebels to get the spring off to a good start. (January 31, 2012, Page 10)
- Francis Lee “Frankie” Butts — 60, died Saturday, Jan. 28, 2012, in Water Valley. A graveside service will be held at 10 a.m. Friday at Oak Hill Cemetery in Water Valley. Seven Oaks Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements. Seven Oaks Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
- John Burton Coop Jr. — 54, died Monday, Jan. 30, 2012, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-East in Memphis. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Wednesday in the Coleman Funeral Home Chapel in Oxford.
- DDE honor roll
- 2012 state theatre champs announced, OHS wins awards
- Locals on NEMCC dean’s list
- Mississippi ranks 48th on national report card
- Lucker named to honor list at Missouri S&T
- Huckins named to the Seaver college dean’s list at Pepperdine
- Watson named to Clemson University president’s list
- Lowrey joins society
- UM pharmacy faculty member wins award
- Three local seniors inducted into UM hall of fame
- OUUMC day school art work
Local columnist Jimmy Reed recalls some wise words from his mentor, Jaybird, and American writer Thomas Dreier as they taught him about equality and color. (January 31, 2012, Page 4)
(more…) (January 30, 2012)
BLOG — The long wait to announce a college choice is finally over for Lafayette quarterback Jeremy Liggins. The standout who led the Commodores to back-to-back Class 4A state titles chose LSU tonight at Irie on the Square over an opportunity to play for both Ole Miss and Mississippi State. (more…) (January 30, 2012)
Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi unveiled Da Vinci, the new surgery robotic system, Thursday during a ceremony held at the hospital. City officials, local doctors and other health care practitioners came to see the futuristic machine first hand. (January 30, 2012, Page 1A)
JACKSON — The advertising staff of The Oxford EAGLE received 16 awards, including six first-place finishes, at the annual Mississippi Press Association’s 2011 Better Newspaper Contest, advertising division. (January 30, 2012, Page 3A)
The Water Valley baseball team will host a first-pitch banquet at the Water Valley multipurpose building Feb. 11 at 6 p.m.
Water Valley’s guest speaker will be former Ole Miss baseball and football legend Jake Gibbs. Tickets are $15 and can be purchased from any baseball player or by calling (601) 624-1142 or (601) 473-2468. (January 30, 2012)
A season and career filled with spectacular moments on the field for Lafayette High quarterback Jeremy Liggins has led to the next chapter of his football career. Tonight is the moment that the 6-foot-3, 275-pound dynamo that helped lead the Commodores to back-to-back Class 4A state titles makes his college choice public.
Liggins is scheduled to make his announcement at Irie on the Square on the weekly Sports Roundup TV show at approximately 7:30. (January 30, 2012, Page 1B)