Online Edition
Sunday, November 23, 2014

Rebels handcuff Tulane in 5-1 win

BLOG: A healthy dose of rain throughout the day didn’t stop the Rebels from getting their Friday night opener against Tulane going on time.The Rebels (9-1 overall) mixed up their lineup a bit for tonight’s showdown with the 7-2 Green Wave:
CF Tanner Mathis
C Miles Hamblin
1B Matt Smith
DH Matt Snyder
RF Matt Tracy
3B Preston Overbey
LF Zach Kirksey
2B Alex Yarbrough
SS Blake Newalu
LHP Matt Crouse (2-0, 2.77 ERA)

—SCORING SUMMARY—

Rebels 3, Tulane 0 (BOTTOM 1): Ole Miss didn’t waste any time getting on the scoreboard against Tulane. With two outs, Matt Smith scored from first on a hit-and-run off the bat of Matt Snyder. Matt Tracy then proved why he’s hitting in the five hole when he launched a pitch from Tulane starter Conrad Flynn over the Ole Miss bullpen for a two-run shot.

Rebels 3, Tulane 1 (TOP 4): Tulane got on the scoreboard in the top of the fourth thanks to an RBI-double by Nick Schneeberger that scored Jeremy Schaffer from second base.

*With a 2-1 count to Tulane right fielder Brandon Boudreaux and no outs in the top of the sixth inning the game was postponed due to rain.*
**The game resumed at 8:52 p.m.  after a 50 minute delay and Jake Morgan took over on the mound for Ole Miss starter Matt Crouse, who had thrown 70 pitches before the stoppage.**

Rebels 5, Tulane 1 (BOTTOM 8) : Tracy added to one of his better career days offensively in the eighth inning, knocking a single past Tulane’s diving first baseman to score Miles Hamblin and Smith easily.

— — —

Crouse eaned the win for Ole Miss (10-1 overall) to improve to 3-0 on the year, surrendering one run on four hits in 5.0 innings. He also struck out two.

Morgan earned his third save of the season pitching 4.0 scoreless innings in relief. The senior scattered two hits while striking out two.

Flynn fell to 0-2 on the year after giving up three runs in 5.0 innings for Tulane (7-3).

NEXT UP: Tomorrow’s game is scheduled to start at noon.

According to Weather.com, there’s an 80 percent chance of precipitation for noon, decreasing to 20 percent by 5 p.m. (March 4, 2011)

Share this Oxford Eagle story.

    Reader Feedback

    2 Responses to “Rebels handcuff Tulane in 5-1 win”

    1. [...] The choice to push today’s game back from noon to 5 p.m. looks like it will pay off. It’s chilly, with wind blowing from left field to right field, but at least it’s not raining.Ole Miss will look to claim the series today after taking Game 1 on Friday 5-1. [...]

    2. [...] the series and will look to get the best of the other today at 1:30 p.m.Ole Miss got ahead early in Game 1, while the Tulane pitching staff combined to limit the Rebels to just five hits and one run in Game [...]

    Leave a Reply

    First National Bank