Thursday, October 2, 2014

No loose dogs allowed at Lamar Park

Keeping your dog on a leash has been the law inside the city of Oxford for several years, but was only loosely enforced at the Lamar Park — until now.

Oxford police and animal control officers haven’t felt the need to crack down on dogs running free while chasing sticks or Frisbees at the park until now. Dog owners can expect to see this law strictly enforced after a woman was knocked down by a loose dog while at Lamar Park on Thursday. The fall resulted in the woman breaking her wrist.

The Oxford Police Department and Animal Control officers will issue warnings for one week, Martin said. After that, citations will be issue. The fine for violating the city’s leash law is $174. (November 5, 2010, Page 2A)

8 Responses to “No loose dogs allowed at Lamar Park”

1. John Smith says:

How about people learn to train their dogs properly? Leave the city fund raising to church groups and busting legitimate criminals. Enough houses are being broken into anyway. Get on the job OPD.

I thought all you republican quacks voted for less government last week? WTH?

2. Ashley Brooks says:

As a responsible pet owner, I always keep my dogs on leash in the park. It is very annoying when off leash dogs run up and get right in my dominate male dog’s face. I am so very thankful that they are going to start enforcing this law, but I hate that it took someone getting hurt for it to happen.

3. Lauren says:

I too am a responsible pet owner. However, my dog is always allowed off-leash time at Pat Lamar park. And you know what? My dog can handle it. She follows me and obeys me. She sniffs, she rolls in the grass, she potties, she attempts to fetch but gets distracted, and chases. She does not mow down strangers. I’ve NEVER seen this happen in all my 3.5 years of living in this town and taking daily walks in Pat Lamar Park.

I hate that the leash law is now going to be misinterpreted as a knee-jerk reaction because someone fell over. You’d think a child got attacked as savage hellhounds roamed free driven by bloodlust. Yes, it’s terrible that someone got injured, and I am not trying to negate her suffering, but that situation is not the norm. The dog didn’t injure her – the fall did. Accidents happen. That’s life. Walking outside your house is dangerous. Oxford has always been friendly to dog-owners, it seems, but now I see that one person’s complaint has changed that. I realize not everyone is a dog person, but not everyone is a bike person either. You adapt, and life goes on.

And really, the OPD issuing tickets? Is there going to be a new park police force? Are we all going to anonymously tattle on our fellow community members (as I saw someone threaten to do this past weekend)? Surely their time is better served than that.

Pat Lamar Park was one of the things I loved about this town. A nice walking track, kids playing, Labradors swimming – I could exercise, meet new people and get my dog exercised and socialized, which is so important in being a responsible owner. It fostered a sense of community with people I may not know but see regularly. And it was great to see that in action. Now that community is divided. So thank you, Oxford, for giving me one less thing to miss when I move.

4. Lillian says:

AMEN LAUREN!

I was shocked today when I look my lab, Winnie, to the park to play. A fresh sign was at the front of the park (in red letters): DOGS MUST BE ON LEASH AT ALL TIMES. And yes, there was an officer in a golf cart driving around patrolling.
      And I was being watched like a hawk.

There was a different feeling at the park today. It wasn’t cheery or happy… it was stark and dreary. There was no splashing in the lake as dogs chased tennis balls and sticks, there was no laughter or conversation with random strangers (that soon become your best “Dog Park” friends). It was depressing.

I propose that they spend the money they are paying for the patrol man’s time and his little cart, to buy a FENCE. That way “responsible pet owners”, like Ashley Brooks, can stay away from sociable dogs and people.

Come on Oxford! Let’s compromise.

5. Chris says:

This is a sad day in Oxford. One of the most beautiful and wonderful things about Pat Lamar was lively presence of dogs and their owners allowing them to the chance run play as dogs should be allowed to do. One of the main reasons I moved to this neighborhood was because of the dog park (excuse me… ex-dog park) and now it is just a sad reminder of how nice it used to be.

I hope to see petitions and protests toward this initiative and restore things back to the way that were when dogs were loved and allowed to act as dogs should.

6. Lauren says:

Happy to see these other supportive posts. All good ideas: specific times or days (fair and equal, of course), particular areas of use. Surely Oxford can do its citizens the favor of trusting them to exercise their own common sense in whether or not their dog is well-behaved enough to run around in the grass without wreaking havoc.

All that quiet, empty, unused space.

7. Shelia Peace says:

My daughter lives in University Trails Apartments, and for the last month, dogs have been running around loose on the property. Calls to management and the police (as suggested by management) are that they can’t do anything unless the dog(s) stays on the premises until the police arrive; at which time, the officer can call the animal protection service to pick up the animal(s) . . . that is if the animal sticks around until they get there.

There are photos of the unleashed dogs: which, hopefully, can be used to track down the owners of the animals . . . and encourage them to keep their barking, chasing pets under control.

Any suggestions?

8. Shelia Peace says:

I’m reading articles about loose dogs in parks, but not anything about loose dogs on apartment property. What’s going on there? What can be done to solve this problem? Two residents told her the dogs chased them earlier this evening. A dog chased her atop a picnic table, and left before the police arrived. This was captured on video and audio, as she was doing a recording project outside before the dog came out.

There are other photos of the unleashed dogs: which, hopefully, can be used to track down the owners of the animals . . . and encourage them to keep their barking, chasing pets under control.

Any suggestions?