Online Edition
Monday, September 1, 2014

Fire rips through old Gin

Oxford firefighters battled a blaze that ripped through The Gin Saturday night.

Customers at Frank and Marlee’s Restaurant and Piano Bar smelled smoke at about 9:15 p.m. Soon, flames began to shoot out of The Gin, which is adjacent to Frank and Marlee’s just off the Square. The two establishments shared a common wood patio up until Thursday, according to co-owner Erin Smith.

The Gin has been empty for close to 10 years but was purchased recently. Workers began tearing down the patio late last week. That kept the flames from reaching Frank and Marlee’s, which was evacuated by firefighters.

Witnesses say the fire flared up quickly, engulfing the abandoned building within minutes. Firefighters fought to keep the fire from spreading to other nearby businesses.

The fire is under investigation. No one was hurt. For photos from the fire, click here(March 8, 2010, Page 1A)

Share this Oxford Eagle story.

    Reader Feedback

    5 Responses to “Fire rips through old Gin”

    1. [...] Fire Burns Old Oxford ‘Gin’ [...]

    2. brittany says:

      wow i never expected something like that to happen its good noone was hurt

    3. [...] Oxford Eagle reported on the March 8 that the old gin building in Oxford was destroyed by fire. I am not sure of the history of this gin [...]

    4. [...] THE OXFORD EAGLE – Oxford firefighters battled a blaze that ripped through The Gin Saturday night. [...]

    5. [...] are pictures from the Oxford Eagle.  And here’s the article. They said it caught fast and it burned fast…. this is a photo from Erin Smith. It was all [...]

    Leave a Reply

    Oxford Eagle E-subscribe-baseball